Monday, May 16, 2011

Gallery visit: Shane Cotton, good cop

"Theory of drifting"

Out of all the work viewed from the galleries, I found that Shane Cottons' work was what stood out.


I think I liked Shane Cottons' work as the other galleries were very minimal with what was displayed and did not have much to them where as Cotton has more experience in this field and I have seen some previous works before. I think because Cotton is more proffesional in this field of work, he knows what to do. I like how the work is real dark but has some light trying to break through the clouds which changes the shade that the clouds are but the ship figure remains a deep black. This work looks free and "out of the box" rather than having all the sharp points and edges which I find is something that really works well within Cottons' practice. With regards to the ship figure, it almost appears to be a silhouette.



4 comments:

  1. There are a few layers to this work and as symbolic as it may be, it doesn't really make a whole load of sense and the composition of the lines, the black squares and the photo appears to be off. What is the outline of the object in the bottom right hand corner supposed to be? I also can't make out what the outlines are within the black squares that are scattered all over the place. The harshness of the bold white lines striking through the image are too distracting and takes the focus away from nearly everything else in the work, it's just a little bit too over the top.
    When it comes to brightness and contrast, I still feel as though the photo itself needs to be manipulated a bit more, I would have preferred to see more detail in the ship instead of the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel,
    I see you are the good cop.
    You have articulated your critical observations well and understood your role with the structure of the project, keep up the good work
    Hobbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose,
    well done on voicing a critical position where you were asked to be a "bad cop". You have taken on the task and understood its role. I wonder if viewing the work in the gallery would change any of the elements that you have raised?
    Hobbs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,
    Due to poor health and work commitments these past couple of weeks, I haven't had time to visit the galleries, but I might be able to this Friday (27th) when I am physically and financially able, I have the names of the galleries noted down.

    It would've been nice to see this work in person, but I still think I would feel the same about the overall concept. I like some of Shane Cotton's paintings, but there are also some that I don't like, this work in particular being one of them.

    ReplyDelete